Dr. Khrom and her team are dedicated to providing high-quality solutions tailored to meet the unique needs of our patients. In keeping with that commitment, our office is equipped with the latest technology, including a suite of laser devices for customized treatment.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) therapy
This popular light-based treatment is both gentler and more versatile than most lasers. Whereas a laser beam contains a single wavelength, IPL works with a broad spectrum. As the name implies, these devices deliver very intense light energy, but it is applied in short pulses rather than an uninterrupted stream. The process is exceptionally gentle and usually has no downtime, but it delivers powerful results.
IPL treatment is also quite customizable, and the clinician can select appropriate filtering and power setting, depending on your treatment goals and skin type. One of the most common applications is skin rejuvenation, sometimes referred to as a photofacial treatment. With specialized settings, IPL devices can also be used for hair removal, vascular lesions, and more.
Laser skin resurfacing
The uppermost layers of skin bear the burden of UV exposure, environmental toxins, minor wounds, insect bites, rashes, and other damage. Over time, the cumulative effects of these problems can cause lasting discoloration, textural irregularities, superficial scars, stretch marks, poor skin texture, wrinkles, and a generally aged appearance.
Although the human body has impressive rejuvenate capabilities, it can’t always keep up. Additionally, those processes slow with age – but they kick into high gear when the body recognizes a skin “injury” in need of healing. Laser resurfacing works by disrupting skin or even removing the uppermost layer. This triggers a strong healing response, leading to the generation of new, healthier, and younger-looking skin.
There are many types of laser skin resurfacing, which are generally divided into three categories, depending on how aggressive the procedure is.
- Fully non-ablative – This technique is sometimes called laser rejuvenation rather than resurfacing, because it does not actually remove any tissue. Instead, milder laser energy is applied, which heats tissue to the ideal therapeutic temperature. It essentially tricks your body into registering skin injury, without causing any actual damage. Rapid collagen development and cellular turnover ensues. Non ablative treatment usually has no side effects. It is also the least powerful resurfacing technique, appropriate for milder skin concerns.
- Fully ablative – This technique very literally resurfaces the skin, because it vaporizes the uppermost cells. It is a powerful therapy, often used to treat advanced signs of aging, acne scars, and sun damage. We use the carbon dioxide (CO2), which delivers extremely precise light energy with predicable results. It is appropriate for most patients, but it might not be recommended for those who are prone to scarring or hyperpigmentation. Due to the aggressive nature of treatment, there is a brief recovery and healing period. However, it can achieve dramatic and long-lasting results with just one treatment.
- Fractionated – One of our most requested anti-aging treatments, the fractional laser was designed to blend the benefits of ablative and non-ablative techniques. Like ablative resurfacing, it does create minor controlled skin injury. However, it does not impact a large area of skin. Instead, the laser energy is broken into a multitude of micro-beams, creating a dense pattern of microscopic treatment areas with islands of undisturbed tissue between them. Since healing occurs from the edge of a wound inward, this technique facilitates rapid recovery. It is more powerful than entirely non-ablative treatment, without the extended recovery of fully ablative. We use the LaseMD GLO fractional laser and Icon Erbium fractional laser, both of which deliver significant results with no downtime. Most patients achieve the best results with a series of treatments.
- Laser360iQ Age Reversal – This laser anti-aging system is so unique that it is in a class of its own. With IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), non-ablative laser, and tissue tightening technology all rolled into one amazing device, it delivers truly comprehensive skin rejuvenation. Laser360iQ can address vascular lesions, dark spots, skin laxity, fine lines and wrinkles, poor complexion, and many other skin concerns in a one procedure. We usually recommend a series of treatments, which are gentle with little to no downtime.
Laser treatment for vascular lesions (redness)
Visible vessels, broken capillaries, and red marks such as port wine stains are examples of vascular lesions. Laser therapy is one of the best ways to treat these lesions, as well as general (diffuse) facial redness. These lasers are designed to target vascular tissue, effectively reducing or erasing the excess red. The disadvantage with many vascular lasers is that they tend to leave bruising, bluish, or black marks. That is why Dr, Khrom uses the advanced triple-action VersaPulse laser therapy system.
Our VersaPulse is a green light laser that is powerful enough to take on spider veins, red birth marks, stretch marks, rosacea related redness, and much more. Yet, it is gentle enough to be safe for patients of all skin types, with few, if any, side effects.
Glowing skin with Laser Treatment – Dr. Tatiana Khrom
What are the Red and Brown spots that I get on my Face?The reds are usually small blood vessels that are either visible or come across as red slush over someone’s face. The browns are either brown spots or melasma which are hormone pigmentation spots that are frequently seen in some of our patients.
What are the procedures that help correct red and brown spots?Treatments with intense Pulsed Light (IPL) or what we call a photo facial.
What is the duration of IPL therapy?These procedures are done every 4-6 weeks for a series of 3 treatments and then they require usually a maintenance treatment once every 6 to 12 months to continue preserving the clear tone of our skin.
Laser treatment for pigmented lesions (brown spots)
Excess or uneven skin pigment may occur for a variety of reasons. For example, freckles and birthmarks are natural, while “age spots” are caused by UV damage. Melasma, also called the mask of pregnancy, is associated with sun exposure as well as hormonal changes. Despite the differences, all these skin conditions involve a large quantity of pigment concentrated in one area.
Because skin pigment readily absorbs light energy, dark spots respond very well to laser and IPL treatments. Dr. Khrom may recommend gentle photofacial therapy or laser resurfacing, depending on your needs.
Light therapy for acne
There are many different types of acne, and causative factors. Therefore, the ideal treatment differs for each patient. Dr. Khrom works with each individual to create a customized plan to control active flares, treat future ones, and eliminate acne scars if present. One of the many techniques she uses to clear up skin quickly is BDP (blue light photodynamic) therapy, which kills acne-causing bacteria within the pores. The procedure is painless with no downtime, and few to no side effects. A treatment regimen may include several treatments over a period of a few weeks.
RF (radiofrequency) treatments
Not all energy-based treatments revolve around lasers, or even light energy. RF is a type of electric magnetic energy, also called radio waves. It has a long history of therapeutic use, both in medical and aesthetic applications. RF energy interacts with tissues differently than light energy does. It easily passes through skin surface to reach deeper layers, and it targets different components in tissue. Unlike light, RF energy has minimal impact on pigment, so there is minimal risk of burns, even for patients with darker skin tones.
We offer several different types of RF skin treatments here at Khrom Dermatology & Aesthetics. These include:
- Infini fractional RF – This innovative system is one of the best ways to reset the hands of time, achieving overall skin improvement with no downtime. Infini combines the benefits of microneedling and RF skin rejuvenation for firmer, smoother, healthier skin. Microneedling opens tiny columns in the upper skin layer, enhancing collagen remodeling and production. Infini treatment is very similar to standard microneedling, with one important difference. The needles transmit therapeutic RF energy, delivering it directly to deep skin layers where it is needed the most. Infini may be used to improve acne scars, jowls, sagging skin, wrinkles, and poor texture.
- ThermiTight RF skin tightening for the body – Minimally invasive and fast acting, ThermiTight is one of our most loved body sculpting procedures. It can be used on most areas of the body, including the arms, breasts, neck, knees, thighs, and abdomen. The procedure is fast and comfortable, with RF energy applied using a very tiny probe. Most patients can resume normal activities within a day. In most cases, a single ThermiTight session is sufficient to achieve desired results with just one treatment, with results developing gradually over several weeks.
- ThermiSmooth skin tightening for the face – Turn back the clock and smooth away facial wrinkles without side effects or downtime. The face is the most cosmetically sensitive area of the body, where laxity is most noticeable. ThermiSmooth was designed for this delicate skin, using a non-invasive applicator to deliver therapeutic RF energy. It is safe for all skin types, and it can be used on all areas of the face, even the lips and around the eyes. Most Patients will need approximately three treatment sessions to achieve optimal results.
Choosing the right aesthetic treatment for you
Here at Khrom Dermatology & Aesthetics, we take pride in bringing some of the latest, most innovative, and most advanced aesthetic solutions to the people of Brooklyn, NY. Patients often ask which procedure is best, but there is no single answer to that question. We only use products and technologies that we believe are exceptional, but none of them are ideal in every situation. In many cases, the best solution for a patient is a customized combination of techniques.
If you want to explore your options and find out what is right for you, please visit our office for a consultation. Just give us a call at 855-720-2209 to get started.
BEFORE AND AFTER
* Individual results may vary