Khrom Dermatology is proud to provide quality care for a variety of cosmetic and medical skin concerns, including diagnosis and treatment of warts. Although these common skin growths do not pose a serious health risk, they are contagious and can sometimes occur in large numbers causing pain, discomfort, or cosmetic concerns.
What are warts?
Generally, warts are rough or grainy in texture, and they may develop in clusters. The type and exact characteristics of a wart depends on where on the body it is located.
- Common warts usually appear on the fingers or toes. If growing adjacent to the nailbed, they can cause abnormal growth of nails
- Flat warts, or plane warts, are smoother in appearance and tend to develop on the face
- Plantar warts are found on the soles of feet, and they grow inward due to the external pressure of walking
- Filiform warts are thin and threadlike, often developing on the face
- Mucosal warts, also called oral warts, are found on and around the lips, or soft tissue on the inside of the mouth
Most often, warts will eventually go away without treatment. However, it may take several years for this to happen, especially in adults. Additionally, people with weakened immune systems may experience massive outbreaks of warts. For these and other reasons, waiting for warts to go away is not a practical option for many individuals.
If you have a large number of warts, or they are causing discomfort or cosmetic concerns, they can easily be removed. Depending on the location of the wart, we may use surgical excision, laser treatment, chemical peeling, or other techniques. Any of these procedures can be completed right here in our office, with minimal discomfort. Call us at 718-751-0674 to schedule a consultation.